Bike Maintenance Courses
While we are happy to service and repair your bike at any time, we can also teach you the skills you need to maintain it yourself between services, and deal with minor emergencies when they arise.
URGE cycles bike maintenance courses are designed to help you find out more about looking after your bike, give you the confidence to get more ‘hands-on’, and save money at the same time!
You’ll find our friendly and expert mechanics are great communicators and passionate and enthusiastic about their subject: they are also trained to at least Cytech level 2, fully insured and CRB checked.
Our bike maintenance courses have been designed for small groups of up to 6 people, and take place in a number of locations. Alternatively URGE cycles can put on a course at your home, place of work or anywhere else within our area.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org for details of current course availability or call us on 01722 655011 to arrange a course at a time and place to suit you.
Our standard courses are:
Find out how your bike works, how to complete a safety check and mend punctures on our ½ day course.
This workshop will take cyclists through getting to know their bike and equip them with skills to deal with basic roadside repairs. They will learn how to make minor adjustments to keep their bike running smoothly, ensuring they can get from A to B by bike with minimum hassle.
· Get to know your bike including correct names and functions for part
· Learn how to set up your bike to fit you
· Learn how to safety check your bike before setting off and what essential tools you need to be taking with you on every ride.
· Learn about different brake types and find out how to tell when your brake blocks need replacing.
· Find out about tyre pressure and wheel sizes and which spare inner tube you need to carry.
· Learn to replace an inner tube following a puncture including how to remove a rear wheel and re-hang chain to rear mech.
· How to mend a punctured inner tube.
Spend the day with our mechanic as you get ‘hands-on’ with your bike. From replacing brakes to adjusting the gears you’ll learn how to clean and check your bike to prolong its life.
The course will also cover the basic essentials of maintaining a bike between services so as to keep its owner safe on the road or trail. In addition the course will offer plenty of advice on how to nip mechanical issues in the bud helping to avoid, replacing costly parts.
· Learn when and why a chain and cassette needs replacing.
· Be given an introduction to home workshop tools and lubricants.
· Learn how to take care of your bike between services with a focus on how to clean and re-lube the drive train to keep these components in optimum health.
· Learn more about how your gears work with an introduction to indexing for a more comfortable and efficient riding experience. If your gears won’t set up, learn why and what needs to happen next.
· Learn how to tighten your brakes and how to replace brake blocks
Get everyone involved as our mechanic helps you find out more about your bikes and gives you all the confidence to care for them and know they’re safe to ride.
As well as our regular courses URGE offers 1:1 tuition enabling you to learn exactly what you want to know about your bike. Better still our mechanic and fully-equipped mobile workshop will come to you – at home or at work.
Our 1:1 tuition is a great way to learn specific skills. It can fit in with your schedule and even makes a thoughtful present for anyone wanting to know more about their bike.
Individual tuition costs:
- 1 hour £35.00
- 2 hours £60.00
- 3 hours £85.00
We are also able to accommodate 2 people on these special sessions. Please add £10 per hour if you would like two people to attend.
Email email@example.com to arrange a session at a time and place to suit you.